Chapter III
Watching the trees whip by had some kind of hypnotic effect on him. It seemed like only yesterday, when he first saw her. Fall had just arrived then, evident by the shedding trees all over campus. It was his final semester before graduation, and he had embarked upon the impossible journey, of studying an ancient language of the East – Chinese.
There he was, in the library, with Andrew, examining his exam paper strewed with red ink, spotted with a big red ‘D’ on it. He picked it up and read it out loud. He mumbled something unintelligible in what was suppose to be Chinese. “Did you get anything I just said?” Looking at Andrew, he waited for a response. Without looking up from his book, Andrew shook his head.
“Neither do I!” Will leaned back in despair. “This is so wrong. Seriously. What I need, is someone who speaks the language to practice with …” He lowers his paper, and right before his eyes laid a possible solution: a beautiful Chinese girl was sitting one table away. She had a smile on her face as she scribbled away, with earphones firmly planted on her eyes. “And the Gods are shining my way,” exclaims Will.
“Huh?” A puzzled Andrew looked up and attempted to clarify that expression, only to find that Will had already left his seat and was walking over. She was already packing her stuff, preparing to leave, when Will’s shadow fell over her notebook. She looked up, and was treated to his killer smile.
“你会讲华語吗? (Do you know how to speak Chinese?)” He put on his best smile, knowing he might have just slaughtered a magnificent language with his horrible pronunciation.
She looked at him, with eyebrows raised, as if trying to figure him out. That silly smile of hers actually made her day. “Actually, yes I do.” She grinned.
“Great! Urm … I mean it’s just that I really need someone to practice my Chinese with … and gosh 你真的好漂亮! (You are really beautiful.)” Will laughs nervously. “Sorry. What I meant to ask was do you mind helping me out?” He raised his test paper like ared white flag, and waited anxiously for her answer. He was relieved to see her smile.
Li-en pulled out her pen. “Give me your hand.” She scribbled her name and number on his hand. “Call me.” Smiling, she walked off.
Andrew walked up behind Will and patted him on the back. “Way to go buddy. Li-en eh?” Both of their eyes were fixated on the door, even though she had long since walked out. “So are you going to call her?”
“Are you kidding? Of course I am!” He playfully shoved Andrew.
He called her later that night, and they agreed to meet … the following night. The stage had been set.
There he was, in the library, with Andrew, examining his exam paper strewed with red ink, spotted with a big red ‘D’ on it. He picked it up and read it out loud. He mumbled something unintelligible in what was suppose to be Chinese. “Did you get anything I just said?” Looking at Andrew, he waited for a response. Without looking up from his book, Andrew shook his head.
“Neither do I!” Will leaned back in despair. “This is so wrong. Seriously. What I need, is someone who speaks the language to practice with …” He lowers his paper, and right before his eyes laid a possible solution: a beautiful Chinese girl was sitting one table away. She had a smile on her face as she scribbled away, with earphones firmly planted on her eyes. “And the Gods are shining my way,” exclaims Will.
“Huh?” A puzzled Andrew looked up and attempted to clarify that expression, only to find that Will had already left his seat and was walking over. She was already packing her stuff, preparing to leave, when Will’s shadow fell over her notebook. She looked up, and was treated to his killer smile.
“你会讲华語吗? (Do you know how to speak Chinese?)” He put on his best smile, knowing he might have just slaughtered a magnificent language with his horrible pronunciation.
She looked at him, with eyebrows raised, as if trying to figure him out. That silly smile of hers actually made her day. “Actually, yes I do.” She grinned.
“Great! Urm … I mean it’s just that I really need someone to practice my Chinese with … and gosh 你真的好漂亮! (You are really beautiful.)” Will laughs nervously. “Sorry. What I meant to ask was do you mind helping me out?” He raised his test paper like a
Li-en pulled out her pen. “Give me your hand.” She scribbled her name and number on his hand. “Call me.” Smiling, she walked off.
Andrew walked up behind Will and patted him on the back. “Way to go buddy. Li-en eh?” Both of their eyes were fixated on the door, even though she had long since walked out. “So are you going to call her?”
“Are you kidding? Of course I am!” He playfully shoved Andrew.
He called her later that night, and they agreed to meet … the following night. The stage had been set.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home